Aug 17 2017

The US adventure(part 7): the long walk along the pier

Category: MiscellaneousIuliana @ 7:26

In my second entry about my US vacation I mentioned buying an iPad, the same one I’ve been posting blog entries for a while now. I also learned how to use the iCloud so the pictures made with the iPhone are accessible from the iPad and now I     can also post a few pictures here and there. It is funny how a few years ago I considered the iPad to be a useless, expensive toy.

When I reached Philadelphia, the first step was to park the car. I only found a place at the last level, the eleventh. The second step was to drop my troller at the hotel. According to Google Maps, the hotel was 1 minute away. Well, it was, sort of. When I turned the corner and saw the entrance I panicked. The hotel door looked old and above it there was a pavilion that looked also very old and was shattered as if a bear scratched it. I reluctantly entered and there was a notice:”Office at level two”. Phuck!, I must have said that out loud looking at the 23kg troller. I started up the stairs. Everything looked very old and poorly maintained, the walls, the furniture, the carpet on the stairs. And the space was very small as well, cozy. I finally managed to reach level two and met the owner. She was cleaning the rooms. I left her the troller and started my way around the town. I visited the “America Philosofical Society Museum” waiting for the tour of the Independence Hall, where the US constitution and Declaration of Independence were drafted. Philadelphia is one of the oldest cities in the US, and for a while it was the capital of the US. Actually Abraham Lincoln was the president of US, while Philadelphia was capital, he died before Washington DC became capital. I did the historical tour, seeing the Liberty Bell and Thomas Jefferson’s house. Then I stopped a little at the “Red Owl” for a cheese steak and a beer. As the car was stuck in the parking lot for the next two days, I could finally drink a beer”. Then I headed over to the Pier where I photographed some ships and a building that looks like a ship but it is actually a block with flats. And it has a parking as well. I was looking at it and wondered, how is the life of somebody living there.

When getting back to the hotel, I noticed a ship with veils named “Gazela” and because I was staring to intensely, a guy came from inside the ship and offered a tour. He talked about the ship history, how it was made from the initial ship, how it was modified to add an a fine as well. It was an amazing story and an amazing tour. And apparently the crew is all made up of volunteers. I would move to Philadelphia just to volunteer on that ship. Apparently the ship is still functioning and they take it for a ride from time to time.

I went back to the hotel, and my room was ready. It was one of the smallest rooms I had in the US, but it was just so nice and so clean, and the bed was so comfortable. When I got to the hotel I also noticed that my personal phone’s battery has died, and it was not recharging. And as my birthday was coming soon, I needed my personal phone, so personal contacts – such as family could reach me. And even if I don’t care that much about my family, I was just worried that they might try to call the police or something and declare me “missing”, if I could not be reached. So yeah, apparently there was a decision to be made…


Leave a Reply